Friday, July 18, 2014

Mushrooms in my second day of Thai food


I'm not in the habit of taking pictures of meals and it's not something I'm skilled at, but it seemed appropriate given the circumstances.

Straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea) in a soup that cleared my sinuses and led to the bottom of my 2nd (of 5) liter of water

Enokitake (Flammulina velutipes) wrapped in bacon, and grilled king oyster (Pleurotus eryngii). This stall at an open-air market also had steamed oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus spp.-- these oysters had morphological differences including a narrower base compared to the ones I'm most familiar with, which may be a result from different growing conditions, or they may be a different species than P. ostreatus, hence the "spp."). I was considering trying to ask them where they buy them, but they were doing pretty swift business. Maybe next time.  All varieties they were selling are commonly commercially cultivated anyway, so there probably wasn't much info to glean.

Interesting note about enokitake: they are grown in particular controlled conditions (likely no light, maybe controlled CO2) that make their appearance vastly different from wild individuals of the same species. If you google the species name, you'll find very little resemblance between cultivated and wild specimens.

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmm! I had a dream about Ganoderma last night. I think you're rubbing off on me.

    ReplyDelete